Here's one of my go-to breakfast ideas: Breakfast Protein Salad. This one takes a bit more effort than Todd's Power Oats so I don't have this as often. But it packs such a nutritous punch! The secret to making it work is the egg poacher you see below.
Here's how I do it:
- Crack two eggs into the egg poacher. Pour some white wine vinegar (1 tsp) over each egg. Microwave on power level 6 (of 10) for 70 seconds.
- While the eggs are cooking, fill a bowl with whatever greens and veggies you can find in the fridge (you do have greens and veggies in the fridge, right?!). I usually put cherry tomatoes and peppers on mine if I have them. In this version I found some leftover black beans and threw them on for extra protein. One of the secret benefits of this breakfast is that you become a hunter looking for small bits of leftover sides from last night's dinner. Today I found 1/2 an avocado and a handful of left over roasted potatoes. These would have been too small to be meaningful in another meal for my family of 5, but they were perfect size to go on my salad!
- Take the poached eggs from the microwave and pour the ENTIRE CONTENTS on top of the greens. I like the eggs slightly runny to help coat the veggies. Just cook a few seconds longer if you want to firm them up. The hot vinegar will smell great (or stink up the house if you ask my wife.)
- Finish the salad by sprinkling some feta crumbles on top.
- Add a glug of balsamic vinegar and EVOO and lastly a crank or two of coarse salt and pepper.
If you make this several times, it gets fast enough that you can make the entire salad in the 70 seconds it takes to poach the eggs.
The beauty of this breakfast is that it takes a while to eat (lots of chewing), so you'll feel full by the time you're done. And like all my breakfast discoveries, it's got a lot of protein fiber, plus healthy oils and vitamins.
Believe it or not my 7 and 5 year old kids eat this with me, runny eggs and all!
(WARNING: clean the egg poacher right away. The eggs dry like grout if left in the sink while you're at work!)