I scrutinize at every meal before I eat it with one main question in mind: Where's the protein? Are you building each meal around healthy, lean protein? If not, here are 5 reasons why you might want to start:
1. WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: A high protein diet can play a pivotal role in weight management for several important reasons. Firstly, protein has a satiating effect, helping to curb hunger and reduce overall food consumption, which can lead to a calorie deficit and facilitate weight management.
2. BUILD (AND MAINTAIN) MUSCLE: Secondly, protein is crucial for preserving and building lean muscle mass. This muscle tissue requires more energy to maintain, thereby boosting your resting metabolic rate. In essence, it contributes to burning more calories, even at rest.
3. STABILIZE BLOOD SUGAR: Additionally, protein can help stabilize blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates. This steadier blood sugar control prevents energy spikes and crashes, reducing cravings and overindulgence in unhealthy foods.
4. BURN MORE CALORIES: Furthermore, protein has a thermic effect, which means it consumes more energy during digestion compared to fats and carbs. This extra energy expenditure can contribute to an overall increase in daily calorie burn.
5. FEEL FULL LONGER: Finally, a high protein diet can help regulate hunger hormones like ghrelin (which tells your brain you're hungry) and promote the release of hormones that tell your brain that you're full. This hormonal balance can reduce feelings of hunger and make it easier to stick to a healthy eating plan, ultimately supporting weight management.
What's your breakfast routine look like? I love hearing how people start their day, and what works for them in the battle to get--and stay--healthy. After 15 years of this approach, I think I've finally found an answer that I can stick with!
Be good to your self!
Founder, Todd's Power Oats